Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Importance of Being Nice.

Years ago I printed this out and hung it on my office door. Whenever people would get cattywampus in my space, I would just point to the sign, smile, and say, "That's a real rule in here."  or "Do you need to go away?" It always lightened cranky situations.

It's so important to be nice. I know I don't always live up to my own moral code but I try very hard. Sometimes people--whether they be popular bloggers, celebrities, or regular folk--act in such snippy, mean ways that it just bums me out. Like, I get it. Sometimes we're tired or cranky or just in a foul mood but let's all try to be a little nicer, mmmkay?

Sometimes it's so much easier to lash out. Believe me, I know, I have such a hot temper and I can be too quick to honk my horn or roll my eyes or give my husband a piece of my mind over something so  silly that I lose track of my point and start griping about irrelevant things.  But can we all try to take a second to react?  I have found that I sleep much better at night when I wait a beat before reacting to annoying situations during my day. When someone messes up a work project and I have to re-do an hour of work? When someone cuts me off in traffic? When my neighbor's garbage blows all over my yard and they don't pick it up? All things I could fly off the handle about but won't and shouldn't. It just isn't worth it.

Things you or I say in a moment of anger can cause days (or even weeks) of upset for the receiver. Why don't we all agree to just be nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You look so pretty today.