Monday, June 9, 2014

On Being Present.


Hi, my name is Sarah and I am addicted to multi-tasking. 

Now, I know that may not seem like a huge deal and will come in handy in a few months when I have a babe to look after but right now I'm trying to remind myself to focus. I have a lot going on--at work and just generally in my life--and sometimes I split myself between two projects to the point that I make mistakes or just feel as though I wasn't as present as I should have been. When on conference calls, I'm organizing documents while taking notes and responding to emails or IMs that come through. While writing blog posts I'm skimming Pinterest for dinner ideas and watching a movie I've been dying to see (making typos all the while). 

I'm trying harder to be present in every moment. Yes, sometimes it's impossible not to do three things at once but when it is possible to give one task my whole attention, I'm trying. I've started turning the TV off when I'm reading a book, turning away from my computer when I'm on a conference call, and I'm trying to mostly ignore my phone when I'm with friends or family instead of incessantly checking Facebook or texting other people. 

Since we live in a culture of "OMG, I'm so busy and important!" it can be easy to forget that people do deserve our attention. It's not chic to ignore those around you or be late to things or give things half your effort.

Are you addicted to multi-tasking too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You look so pretty today.