Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pin-Spirational: Drain Cleaner.



The Reason: I've mentioned before that I prefer to make our cleaning supplies at home to avoid chemicals, animal testing, and indoor air pollution. I used to use Drain-o whenever I would deep clean the house in an effort to get every single nook and cranny of the place clean but that stuff is literal poison so when I stumbled on this pin, I knew I had to try it. One downside of country living is also that we have well water. We do have a softener which helps a ton but I like to deodorize the drains when I clean too.

The Process:


Gather up all your supplies which, in this case, include only baking soda and white vinegar. I buy baking soda in bulk at Sam's Club. This huge bag cost me $9.99 and will last for at least two months. 
 

Put your baking soda (I use a little less than 1/3 of a cup) in your drain. I usually walk around the house and throw soda in all the sinks, tubs, showers, and toilet all at once. 
 

Add your white vinegar, just a splash or five.


Let the mixture bubble up a bit and wait for it to settle. I remember once in fourth grade our teacher made a huge volcano with this mixture of vinegar and baking soda. 


Scrub the remaining baking soda in the drain and rinse with warm water. 

The Verdict: I LOVE this pin! It's inexpensive, quick, easy, and effective. I do it once or twice a month and we rarely have clogs or stinky water.

Have you tried any great pins lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You look so pretty today.