Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Hungry for Change.

My hunger (hey, puns) for food documentaries is insatiable. One documentary I've recently chowed down on (I'll stop with the puns soon) was Hungry for Change and it was delicious (okay, I'm done now). I enjoyed the movie so much that I've picked up the book from my library and I am diving in today.

A vegetarian for almost two decades, I've done a lot of research about the meat, dairy, and poultry industries. Typically when I see a documentary I've seen most of the shocking footage before--if you haven't researched these industries, I suggest it. I can say for sure Hungry for Change made me rethink even the "health" foods I've been consuming--yogurt, eggs, soy, etc.

I've toyed with the idea of becoming a vegan for a long time (I was for a couple years many moons ago but I found it was more expensive and I was eating a ton of chemicals). Instead of going in full force, my mom and I both decided to do a couple of vegan days every week. So, my first week of being a "2-day vegan" and to kick-start my metabolism after a week of emotional eating (think: pizza, pasta, Coca-Cola, and chocolate cake), I've turned to the Hungry for Change 3-Day Detox--and it's vegan!

I'm on Day 1 of 3, here's what's going down: 

 Upon Rising: Ginger-lemon water
A few months ago I made a habit of drinking hot lemon water in the morning. I love it! Adding the ginger was...intense but I feel great. 

 Breakfast: Green "juice" (mine was more of a smoothie texture)
I know kale is so good for you but, honestly, I don't get much of it in my diet. This smoothie's base is kale and I like it! I'm a big fan of spinach smoothies, I'm happy to add kale into the mix from now on too.

Not pictured...Snack: Carrots, Celery, and Cucumber
A nice, cool snack mid-morning...that was apparently not noteworthy enough to be photographed. Ooops...
 
 Lunch: Sushi salad
Know what tastes weird when it isn't in sushi (and sometimes when it is)? Nori. For real. The saving grace was the WHOLE avocado in this salad. Ginger is also such an intense flavor that I need to learn to balance it out.

 Snack: Activated almonds
I was pleasantly surprised that soaking the almonds didn't really change their texture or taste. I've never tried soaking them before but they were pretty good! 

 Dinner: Potassium balance soup
I am a soup nerd. Man, I sure do love soup. This was pretty good--albeit a bit bland but I had expected that. I doubled most of the veggies they called for because why not? Hastag YOLO, right?

Dessert: Chia seed pudding and chamomille tea
I took this photo before the pudding had set and also, this is not chia seed pudding. My local Jewel didn't have any so I subbed in flaxseed. I haven't tried it yet but hopefully it works just as well.
I'll check back in when my detox is done with how much I've lost, how I'm feeling, and if I am hallucinating about chocolate chip cookies. I spent about $80 on all my groceries for the detox (though I did double the produce so I could make salads and things for the rest of the week). Warning: prep time is LONG. Compared to my usual 20 minutes to prep breakfasts and lunches for the week, it took me about 2 hours to prep three days worth of food.

Have you tried any detoxes lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You look so pretty today.